With Navarathri just a week away, I thought I will post this little project I did… What do you all do with your Golu stand after you are done using it for 10 days? Usually it lies in the loft in all our houses.
(For those of you who are wondering what I am talking about…Google out “Navarathri Golu” or check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golu to know more about this. Normally we use slotted angle Golu stands for this purpose)
Some people assemble it as a regular Storage Rack and use it to store books etc but my problem with that has always been that it looks very dull and unappealing.
I decided to get over this issue of appearance of the Steel rack by painting it and use it in my son’s room. I am constantly challenged with Space issues for storing my son’s books and toys. He is just 3 years old and I cannot believe how much stuff we have accumulated – I don’t even remember buying most of this stuff. I guess friends and family have been very generous with their gifts 🙂
Every time I think my son has outgrown some of the toys and I try to put it aside, he starts playing with those!
I just painted the rack with the colours I thought would go well with my son’s room. (Anyway for the actual Golu we will be covering this with a white cloth, so the painted rack should not matter). I have used Enamel Gloss paint colours which I picked up at the hardware store.
1) It can hold quite a lot of stuff.
2) You can fix it as you need – if you need shelves with more spacing and some with less, you can fix it the way you want.
3) It is open and kids can see and pick what they need for playing – Well, this also leads to a mess sometimes 😉
4) You can expand the storage by adding hooks wherever you need and hang some stuff – the options are endless!
1) It is a open shelf – so attract dust and you have to keep cleaning it!
Tip : It would also be a good idea to put a couple of nails in the wall to fasten this to the wall, to avoid it from toppling if you have naughty kids who might climb on it!
Hope you like this idea!
It was super easy and did not cost much. Do share your comments 🙂